Tuesday, January 6, 2009

Post-Holiday Tips for Moms: De-Christmas-zising the House


Training-Consultant Mom says:

Recycling decors is not only cost-effective, they are also environment-friendly.  Here are some tips on how to store those decors for recycling next Christmas:

Before you start storing all those recycable decors, DISCARD immediately broken decors or lights.  Put in one container/box decors that you can DONATE next season. Now, let's pack...

Christmas Decors
Put decors in original boxes (I hope you kept the boxes, I know I do).  If you no longer have the original boxes, here's what you can do:
  • Balls/Fragile Decors - Store them in any empty box you have at home.  If balls/decors are fragile (hence, expensive), wrap individually w/ old newspaper or bubble wrap (if you have) before storing in the box (as you would do with crystals).
  • Other Decors/Trimmings - Make sure you wipe away dust before storing your decors
  • Christmas Candles - wrap individually with paper towels.  Do not use bubble wrap (they will stick together in time); do not use colored Japanese paper/tissue (the color of the paper will mix with the candle)
Christmas Lights
Do not discard cardboard tubes of aluminum foils, wax papers or saran wraps.  Use the tubes to twine your lights.  This prevents wires from getting tangled and easy to unwind when you re-use them. Go the extra mile by checking the lights before keeping them.  DISCARD immediately those that are no longer working (hoping they will suddenly light up next Christmas). This will save storage space. Store in separate containers outdoor and indoor lights.  If you are as OC as I am, I label my boxes/containers as follows: Christmas Tree Lights, Balustrade Lights, Garden Lights, etc.

Christmas Stuff Toys/Stockings/Ribbons/Christmas tree skirt (anything made of cloth or soft material)
Wash or launder washable items before storing them to avoid gathering dust


STORING: 
Categorize your boxes, i.e., Christmas Tree Decors/Trimmings/Lights (all these I put in one big box).  This helps me organize my decorating when the season comes.  I don't have to open each and every box just to look for the things I need to put on the tree. If your storage room is as small as mine, put all decors in the innermost portion of the room.  Not only because it is the coolest place in the room but also because they are kept undisturbed until it's time for you to bring them out.


Entrepreneur-Mom says:

I am the lazy one when it comes to de-Christmas-sizing. 

When I first put up my decor years ago, I took pictures of them & had the pictures printed on bond papers & had them laminated. Every year when putting down my decor, I maintain all the trimmings & lights on the garlands & swags, put them inside extra large garbage bags & tape the corresponding pictures on the bags. 

When storing my christmas tree, I also return the ornaments in their original packaging. But for the loose ornaments, I put all of them in boxes filled with shredded paper. I never dismantle my tree, in fact, I store it with the lights. When it is time to bring out my tree, I bring it to the garden, wrap the plugs & socket ends of the lights (I use outdoor lights since these are waterproof. Outdoor LED lights are best) in small plastic bags or cling wrap making sure these are sealed tightly, then, hose the whole tree. After shaking some of the water off the tree, I immediately unwrap the plugs & socket ends, & leave the tree in a covered area (lanai, porch, or on any tiled place inside the house) for 1-2 days to dry completely. 

Before I re-decorate, I check the lights & trimmings. Dusty decor are wiped clean, burned out lights & broken/faded trimmings are replaced.


Home & Living - Top Blogs Philippines

No comments:

Post a Comment

My List